WASH Community Projects
Improved Sanitation & Hygiene in Rural Schools
Clean Water for all Communities
Department of School Health Education Club & Sanitation
Underprivileged Rural Villages require adequate quantity and quality of water in order to maintain a hygienic environment. Improved sanitation, appropriate waste disposal and personal hygiene.
The overall goal of this program is to promote safe handling and stocking of water and improving sanitation in rural communities of Western Uganda. Additionally, different promotion activities, which could be used at scale were tested. Specific goals were:
- Improving water stocking and handling by promoting a new water stocking container and regular cleaning of water vessels.
- Improving access to safe sanitation by promoting improvements of the latrine and regular cleaning.
Improved Sanitation & Hygiene Practices in Rural Schools
Poor sanitation is linked to transmission of diseases such as cholera, diarrhoea, typhoid. Lack of proper sanitary Toilet, washing hands after latrine use, non-hygienic kitchens and drinking non boiled or purified healthy water are the main causes of bad sanitation & hygiene practices in our communities. Good Hygiene practices will start from all schools funded by CCSAE as a policy to evaluate change in community.
- To construct government approved Ventilation Improved Pit (VIP) latrines and adequate hand washing facilities in our target schools
- To improve education and conduct health and hygiene outreach activities in the target communities.
- To install waste management disposal vessels
- Provision of drinking water purification system
- Provision of Washing Hands equipment.
Clean Water for all Communities
Access to Clean Water improves Education, Hunger, Health & Poverty. Contaminated water are linked to transmission of diseases such as cholera, diarrhoea, typhoid. We build new wells, rehabilitate neglected wells, construct rain catchment tanks, protect springs and install sand dams where appropriate.
- Rehabilitation of existing & neglected Boreholes & wells in the community
- Provision of Safe piped water to schools without access to clean water
- Provision of water catchment systems for schools & community health centres
- Rehabilitation of protected spring wells where they exist in the community
Department of School Health Club & Sanitation
Department of School Health Club & Sanitation is a Voluntary School Health Club in all schools funded by CCSAE. We at CCSAE believe that the club must be part of School Administration Policy indicated as WASH Programs through Director of Studies because schools are part of the institutions that nurture Foundations into a child’s future.
According to WHO (2009), children pass on health-related knowledge and skills acquired from schools to parents and other members of the household. Thus, school – based health education programmes benefit not only students but family members and the community at large.
Through our WaSH Education Campaigns, CCSAE will use these Interventions below as an instrument of change that will empower children to play an active role in understanding WaSH Programs and its implimentations to society and how WaSH programs assist our day – to – day personal health to improve our Lives.
- Water, Sanitation & Hygiene Practices
- Skills-based Health Education
- Disease Prevention and Control
- Safe and Healthy School Environment
The Club also affords the children the opportunity to become ‘Agents of Change’ who carry home and translate into action healthy habits and information they learn at school and in this way influence their sibling, parents and friends who might be out of school.
WASH infrastruture Projects in need of Funding
- Project: Construction of WaSH infrastructure Sanitation & Hygiene project
Goal: To demonstrate an improved sanitation & hygiene practice in Primary & Secondary Education institutions through provision of Water stocking container, construction of school health Toilet, provision of Washing Hands equipment, provision of drinking water purification system plus Education and training of WASH Programs to entire school.
Category: WASH School Program
Beneficiary: Destiny International Christian School Kanoni
Outcomes: Diseases such as Diarrhea will be controlled, Students will learn about Sanitation & Hygiene practice.